Monday, June 15, 2009

S.D. Part 1

Andrew and I got back from a nice visit to S.D. As you can see, it is quite flat and open. We felt right at home because S.D. has about as many large statue thingies as Minnesota. Andrew is standing under the World's Largest Pheasant. This Pheasant is 28 feet and weighs 22 tons. It is made of fiberglass and steel. It was built in 1959.This is a close up of the mural under the bird. It depicts the release of pheasants in to the midwest. Pheasants are not native. They were introduced in to the U.S. in the 1800's, from China.Then we found this White Buffalo in a local car sales parking lot. Apparently the white buffalo is sacred to the Native Americans. This town also has many murals done by local artists. This one depicts the State Fair that is held in Huron every year.
This was a park nearby that has a walking path and a gazebo on an island.This is First Pres. Church in Huron. This was our destination. When we arrived at the hotel, this was waiting for us:
Andrew's response, "I don't know if I can accept this. It might be classified as a bribe." :) More to come from our trip.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Cool mural. I'm anxious to hear about how the church part of the trip went.

Hillary said...

My Grandparents live in Sioux Falls near here. So, I have spent a lot of time in this area of SD.