Friday, January 30, 2009

Split Pea Soup

Hello! I don't always have too much to report but I do enjoy trying recipes and sharing them. I found this recipe and found it was quite easy and "set-it-and-forget-it" so I thought I would share my version of the recipe. (*this is not my picture, I just like to illustrate my recipes and forgot to take one)

Makes: 10 servings Prep: 10 minutes Slow-cook: 4 hours on high, or 6 hours on low

Ingredients:
1 lb. dried split green peas, picked over and rinsed (I just threw them in the strainer for a quick rinse)

2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced

1 medium size onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced (I substituted for 2 tsp. garlic powder)

3 vegetable bouillon cubes (I used the granules, and I used chicken flavor)

8 cups water

1 bay leaf

1/4 tsp. salt

3 carrots, peeled and sliced

1/2 tsp. allspice (or thyme)

1/4 tsp. black pepper

Directions: Place all ingredients in your crock pot; cover. Stir after 2 hours.
After 4 hours I used the wonderful Cuisinart quick prep blender Jan gave me right in the crock pot until well blended and smooth. It thickens as it cools.

It turned out wonderfully, and it is very easy on the budget. The recipe I loosely followed also suggested putting in 3 stalks of celery. I did not have any but it is an option. You probably all already have your tried and true ways of making this delicious and earthy soup, or yours may be just as easy but I found this so easy and relaxing on our day off I thought I would share. (It might be nice for those that take a Sabbath too).

2 comments:

Jan said...

That looks great, and it has all the ingredients that I consider essential: peas, carrots, onions. I have never used the crock pot, but will try this one next time. I've had a hankering for split pea soup lately!

Hillary said...

Yum. Glad you discovered this yummy recipe. I put a little turkey ham in ours and cook for a long time (like all day) in the crock pot and don't have to blend. I usually cook a double batch and freeze the leftovers for another day.