Monday, August 27, 2012

Turtle For A Day

The three of us were on a walk yesterday and found a turtle about to go in to the road. I was afraid he would get hit so I rescued him and asked a neighbor if they were missing a turtle. (The only one in the immediate vicinity that had kids) It wasn't theirs. I went home and researched it and found it to be a Western Painted Turtle. They can actually be just a local wild animal , so today I took it out to a natural water source to have a better life. Good bye Turtle George. Levi wanted to call him Levi  :) .

 Its one of the few turtles that can right themselves when they flip over. Here you see he cranes his neck to flip over,
 His new home:

3 comments:

Hillary said...

So cute. Reminds me of My Mom's turtle that lived with us for a time.

Jan said...

I had a little (as in 3", head to tail) turtle like that when I was young. I remember having to clean the bowl it lived in. Turtles used to be really common "pets" but I think now that they are known to carry some kind of bacteria, so aren't so common. That was a REALLY pretty one. That's cute that Levi wanted to call him Levi!!

Sara said...

I don't know if it's the drought or what, but it seems like we've seen a lot more turtle roadkill this year than usual. I'm glad you were able to save this one, it's a lot more tragic for some reason when it's a turtle.